Hello, Gorgeous! I am so glad you stopped by Blush & Camo today because I’m talking about 5 style mistakes + how to fix them! I have totally been guilty of each of these, but have
1.) WEARING CLOTHES BASED ON THE SIZE AND NOT THE FIT
I too, have been guilty of trying to squeeze myself into clothing sizes I thought I should fit into and not the clothes that truly fit my body type. What ended up happening was I would buy the clothing items that didn’t fit and then they would sit in my closet…unused. This is a huge fashion mistake, Blush Babes!
While there are general guidelines for what constitutes each size, stores vary in how they label their clothing items. I average between a 6-8 in most clothing sizes but also have clothes in my closet that range from a size 4 to a size 12 because those are the sizes that fit my body the best for that particular item.
It seriously DOES NOT matter what the size the label says, gorgeous. So long as you are confident in how you look, no label can take that away from you. Plus, no one is going to know what the label says- they are just going to be in awe of you rocking your outfit like a total #girlboss!
This romper below I wore in a blog post was a size 12, but I didn’t care that it wasn’t “my size” because look at that lace material!
2.) SPENDING MORE MONEY ON TRENDY PIECES OVER TIMELESS ITEMS
While there is nothing wrong with spending more money on trendy pieces, chances are those items will not be “on trend” the followig season and you have to go out and buy more clothes. This can turn into a vicious fashion circle, and isn’t the friendliest on your budget!
In this post here I talked about my 60/40 rule when purchasing clothes each season! Typically you want to spend 60% of your clothing budget on classic pieces you know will last you for years and the other 40% on clothing items that are currently on trend. This way you are building your wardrobe while still allowing yourself to try out the latest trends!
It’s a win, win situation!
3.) WEARING CLOTHES THAT DON’T ACCENTUATE YOUR STRENGTHS
As an Army Officer I am in an Army uniform at least 5 days a week, and this uniform is meant for functionality- not fashion. Therefore, the uniform is baggy and not form fitting (totally fine for Army purposes!). My first year in the Army I found myself wearing super baggy clothes on the weekend and not accentuating my body type strengths because I was so accustomed to wearing my Army uniform!
On your days off work express your personal style and show off what you are working with, Gorgeous! Do you have long legs?! Try adding a few dresses or skirts to really show off this feature! Are you proud of all the work you’ve put into the gym and want to accentuate your waist?! Go for it!
The important take away here is to to not hide under your clothes, but to let your personal style shine through and accentuate your feminine figure!
One part of my body that I love is my legs so I try to accurate that strength by wearing dresses like the one below! Take a moment and think about an area you would love to show off. Are you wearing clothes to accentuate your strength (because you deserve to)?!
4.) NOT INVESTING IN A QUALITY HANDBAG OR SHOES
As Blush Babes we are young professionals who are starting to make some money on our own a have a little disposable income to spend (ummm #heckyes)! One of the best splurges you can make to enhance your style game is to invest in a great handbag or pair of shoes!
The reason you want to do this is because you can wear the same handbag or pair of shoes every single day if you choose to, and a quality handbag or pair of shoes will last for a long time AND elevate your outfit!
I invested in a pair of Chanel flats about 6 months ago, and I am so happy I did. I always pair these flats with less pricey pieces (such as a basic tee from Old Navy) and adding these flats instantly increases my chic factor! Plus, I feel like a movie star when I put them on;).
You don’t have to spend thousands of dollars on a quality handbag or pair of shoes! Figure out what your budget would be and see what is available in that price range!
5.) NOT GETTING YOUR CLASSIC WARDROBE PIECES TAILORED
Usually, timeless wardrobe pieces are what Blush Babes spend more money on and for good reason- these items will last you season after season!
If you splurged on a timeless clothing item and it doesn’t fit you exactly how you want getting that item tailored the perfect way to ensure you are 100% happy with your purchase, plus you will be wearing this item a ton!
Are you making any of these fashion mistakes (I have been totally guilty of these too!)?! I would love to talk with you in the comments below! Get a daily dose of style inspo straight to inbox by signing up for one of my two newsletters!
Thank you so much for stopping by Blush & Camo!