Happy Monday loves! I’ve missed you over the weekend! Today I’m giving you 6 easy style tips when shopping for, and styling, fall dresses so you can still stay true to yourself no matter what season! I don’t know about you ladies, but I love wearing dresses. Summer and spring are the obvious months to wear dresses, but what do you do when the cooler temps roll around? Should you even still shop for dresses? The answer is YES! Just follow these simple style tips as a guideline…
LOOK FOR THICK MATERIAL
1. When looking for a fall dress I usually look for a dress with a thicker material, such as plaid, and a dress with sleeves. I know the sleeves part seems obvious, but there are so many cute dresses during the fall season with no sleeves and they are tempting to buy, but just say no! You want your dress to be functional as well as cute. There is nothing more un-cute then freezing your butt off for the sake of fashion (but if we are all being honest right now, we’ve all been in that situation!).
CHOOSE A SOLID COLOR
2. When shopping for a fall dress, look for one with a solid color. Chances are, it will be to cold out to wear just your dress, which means you will be adding layers to your outfit. You want all the layers to match and look coherent, so the safest way to ensure all items in your chic outfit look great is to start with a solid palette (that palette being your dress!).
PICK A PATTERN THAT INCORPORATES THE MOST POPULAR COLOR IN YOUR WARDORBE
3. If you do decide to buy a dress with a pattern, take a look at the color scheme. Will the dress’ colors easily blend in with other items in your closet? If so, go for that cute pattern! But if the dress is bright orange and the most reoccurring color in your wardrobe is purple, you might want to set that dress back on the rack. Layering a dress that has a pattern which doesn’t mesh well with your current wardrobe will most likely require you to go out and purchase items to layer specifically with that dress.
ADD A PAIR OF TIGHTS
3. Add a pair of tights to lock in some warmth! There are so many cute tights out there with some crazy cute patterns on them. Not only will this add an extra element to your look, your keeping your legs warm as well! That’s a total win, win in my book.
LAYER YOUR LOOK WITH A VEST
4. When layering fall dresses vests are always a great way to play with varying lengths and will instantly make your look more chic! My favorite type of vest this season is the faux fur vest. Some of my favorites are here, here, and here.
THROW ON A SCARF
5. Maybe you are eying a fall dress that is too fancy for a vest (which is more everyday/casual wear). When this happens layer with a chunky scarf instead. This scarf could have a fun pattern, or maybe is a unique material! This is what I did in this post here and kept my upper body quite warm:).
PLAY WITH YOUR ACCESSORIES
5. The fall season is the time to amp up your accessories. Add your favorite hat and clutch to complete the whole look! If the fall dress is a solid color, like in this post, I choose a clutch with a pattern and would tie in with my tights! If you have a patterned dress you could accessorize any way you like- opt for accessories with solid colors or do a little pattern mixing (to see my post on pattern mixing, click this link here!).
6. It doesn’t matter if you choose booties, riding boots, or over-the-knee boots! These shoes will provide that extra cover and keep you warmer. Plus, boots are the epitome of fall, and there are so many great options out there! Some of my favorites are here, here, and here!
There you have it! Those are my top tips when looking for, and styling fall dresses! Thank you so much for stopping by Blush & Camo!